Body of Work: Tattoo Culture will also feature large-scale, original works of art created by tattoo artists based in the Northwest. The artists selected for the exhibition demonstrate the wide range of styles possible in tattoo art, and to show the diversity and inclusivity of tattoo practitioners and the people who get tattoos.
– Exploration of the history and development of tattoos and associated culture, with an emphasis on North American history.
– Images that explore the wide variety of tattoo styles, including American traditional, blackwork, and watercolor.
– Focus on indigenous tattoo work.
– Tattoos submitted by artists and tattoo recipients.
– Study of tattoos as an art form, and how pop culture has mainstreamed tattoos and broadened their acceptability.
– Exploration of the process of tattooing.